Oxnard Car Accident Attorney
Car Accidents in California
Accidents involving motor vehicles are among the most prevalent causes for personal injury claims in the United States. In the state of California alone, more than 2,800 people were killed in car accidents in 2011, and an additional 225,602 were injured.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Many car accidents are caused in whole or in part by negligence or indiscretion on the part of one driver. Some of the most common contributing factors of auto accidents include:
- Driver fatigue / falling asleep at the wheel
- Texting or talking on the phone while driving
- Eating while driving
- Driving above the speed limit
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Driving under the influence of drugs and / or alcohol
- Reckless driving
You should not have to pay for the recklessness or irresponsibility of another driver. If you were hurt in a car accident, or if you know someone who was hurt in a car accident in Ventura County, California, you deserve strong legal advocacy. The Oxnard car accident lawyer you hire could make all the difference in the outcome of your case.
Choose the representation of a skilled car accident attorney in Oxnard from The Law Offices of Schurmer & Wood who can help you move forward after a serious injury or wrongful death incident. Contact us today to learn more about your options!
What to do After a Car Accident
If you have been in an accident, there are steps you should take to ensure that you do not admit to fault that is not yours. Take note of the steps below for what to do in this situation. It is crucial that you follow these in order to avoid further complications in an auto accident.
- Call 911. Request that they come to the scene and prepare a traffic collision report.
- Call emergency personnel. If you have been injured, it is important that you receive prompt medical attention.
- Get the other driver's information. Name, address, phone number, date of birth and driver’s license number. Write down the other driver’s insurance information including policy number, company name, and phone number.
- Get other driver's vehicle information. Gather license plate, year, make and model information.
- Collect information from any witnesses. Include their names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses.
- Take photos of the scene of the accident. Pictures of damage to all vehicles in the accident, skid marks on the road, debris and other visible evidence. If at all possible take pictures of the vehicles at their points of rest before they are moved.
- Do not give any statements to any insurance company until you have first spoken to us. The insurance company is not your friend and will try and obtain any information they can to damage your case.
How is Fault Determined in a Car Accident Case?
Should I Consult a Lawyer After a Car Accident?
When you’re seriously injured in an auto accident, an experienced attorney will help you obtain your rightful compensation. When an attorney takes your case, they promise to fight for you and handle your medical bills and lost wages while also negotiating with insurance companies.
Even if you’re not hurt, making sense of overlapping insurance claims can be tricky. Additionally, as California is an at-fault state, someone has to take the blame for every accident. If you fear the insurance companies are placing the fault on you, your auto injury attorney can examine the evidence and help you avoid the traps of aggressive insurance interviews.
On the other hand, you may not need representation under certain conditions. If you were not at fault for the accident, you were uninjured, and your car was more than ten years old, the amount you’d earn from a settlement in small claims court may not be worth the time spent speaking with an attorney.
What Can A Car Accident Attorney Do?
People injured in an auto accident usually earn more compensation when they hire an attorney. That can make a big difference when it comes to paying medical bills and getting vehicle repairs. Moreover, your attorney handles everything for you.
An experienced auto injury attorney takes the stressful paperwork and interviews out of the equation so you can focus on rest and recovery. Best of all, you don’t pay unless they earn your just compensation.
Call The Law Offices of Schurmer & Wood today for Tough Advocacy!
Our firm has been serving clients in Oxnard, Ventura, and all of Southern California since 1968. We understand how to protect your rights at this time and we are prepared to lend the effective advocacy you need and deserve. For strong representation when it counts, call The Law Offices of Schurmer & Wood. We offer free case evaluations, so there is no risk associated with finding out whether or not an attorney from our firm could help you and no reason to wait before calling!
Contact our car accident lawyers in Oxnard today to schedule your free case evaluation!
It's critical if you've been injured after an accident to have valued experienced legal representation. If you don't you will not be on a level playing field. Contact Schurmer and Wood today to schedule a free consultation today!
They made me feel like my case was their number one priority.- Scott C.
I appreciate the professionalism and courtesy I received from the staff.- Tammy G.
The office staff was extremely helpful!- Elisa D.
Hands down the best law firm in Ventura County!- Jonathan W.
Thank you Mr. Schurmer and Ms. Wood for all of your help, wisdom & fairness.- Christopher C.
$3 Million Drunk Driving Accident
Settlement for a 42-year-old gentleman who was seriously injured when a drunk driver crossed over the double yellow line.
$2.6 Million Traumatic Brain Injury
A gentleman suffered a mild traumatic brain injury when the vehicle he was driving was struck by the defendant on a rural road.
$2 Million Back Injury
Settlement for a woman who sustained a serious injury to her back as a result of a motor vehicle accident.
$1 Million Policy Limit Settlement
Settlement for man and wife rear-ended by a truck on the freeway.
$950,000 Bilateral Leg Fractures
Settlement on behalf of a disabled gentleman who was seriously injured when a medical transport van driver failed to appropriately fasten his wheelchair to the interior of the van.