Slip/Trip and Fall Accidents
Oxnard & Ventura Personal Injury Lawyers
Unfortunately, slip and fall or trip and fall accidents are responsible for a high number of injuries in California and throughout the United States each year.
These accidents often occur in:
- Department stores
- Parking lots
- And public sidewalks (See Governmental Liability)
If you or a loved one has been injured as a result of a slip and fall or trip and fall accident we encourage you to connect with The Schurmer Firm to discuss the specifics of your case. Begin by contacting us online.
Cases We Handle
Our personal injury attorneys have over 20 years of experience handling slip and fall cases throughout Oxnard, Ventura, and all of Southern California and have handled cases involving:
- Cracked, damaged and uneven sidewalks which are often caused by improper design or maintenance.
- Wet floor surfaces which often occur when something is spilled on the surface and not cleaned up. In supermarkets or restaurants these contaminants are often fats, oils, water and ice.
- Overly polished or waxed floors
- Unsuitable or unsafe floor coverings including rugs, mats and carpet runners.
- Floor covers that are not properly secured
- Baths and showers in hotels that do not have the proper drainage or do not have anti-slip taping.
- General hazards left on walkways including cables, hoses or other items.
- Inappropriate drainage leading to slippery surfaces and/or pooling of water.
- Inadequate lighting leading to tripping hazards or the inability to see other dangerous conditions.
- Inadequate warnings including the lack of warning signs or cones in dangerous areas.
- Uneven stairs and walking surfaces that fail to meet Building Code requirements.
What Are the Most Common Injuries Caused by Slip and Fall Accidents?
Unfortunately, trip and fall and slip and fall accidents can often cause some very serious injuries including:
- Cuts and abrasions
- Broken bones
- Lost teeth
- Head injuries
How To Prove Liability in a Slip & Fall Case
Proving these cases can be difficult because the law requires that the plaintiff prove that the property owner knew or should have known about the dangerous condition and failed to remedy it within a reasonable period of time. Legally, the fact that owner knew or should have known about the condition is called “notice”.
What Is Considered "Notice"?
The concept of “notice” can be difficult to understand initially but can be easily demonstrated. Let’s say a plaintiff slips on a banana peel in a grocery store and breaks her wrist. After submitting her claim, the owner of the store claims that he didn’t know the banana peel was on the floor and that a customer must have dropped it on the floor shortly before the accident.
Luckily, the plaintiff’s friend took a couple of pictures with her cell phone after the accident that clearly shows the banana peel was old and black and slimy. Using these pictures, the plaintiff’s attorney was able to prove that the owners should have known about the banana peel if he was properly maintaining his store and is therefore legally responsible for the plaintiff’s injuries.
Because most cases aren’t as straight forward at the banana peel case, it is critical to work with an attorney that has significant experience handling these types of cases. One of the experienced and knowledgeable attorneys at
The Schurmer Firm can:
- Perform the necessary investigation
- Take the appropriate depositions and ask the correct types of questions
- And enlist the help of the right experts to prove every aspect of your case
What Damages Are Recoverable in Slip & Fall and Trip & Fall Cases?
If a plaintiff is able to prove the owner or manager of the property had notice of the dangerous condition and failed to repair it within a reasonable period of time, he or she will be entitled to compensation for his/her injuries and any other damages that result from the accident.
While every case must be evaluated on its merits, injured individuals may be entitled to compensation for:
- Past and Future medical bills related to the accident
- Damage to property
- Loss of income as a result of his/her injuries
- Loss of earnings capacity if he/she is not able to return to his/her former line of work as a result of the injuries caused by the accident
- Pain and suffering
How Our Injury Firm Can Help
If you or a loved one has been injured as a result of a slip and fall accident we encourage you to contact us for a free consultation. We will help you evaluate your case and help you choose how to move forward.
Our firm's personal promise and commitment to you is to make sure that we care about you as a person. Every client who has been injured deserves the proper representation and our goal at The Schurmer Firm is to ensure that they get that.
He is a very good attorney!- Brett H.
I want to thank all the staff at this firm!- Sergio B.
They take the time to understand your case and really care.- Dan A.
Trustworthy, hard-working and incredibly intelligent!- Eunice C.
They made me feel like my case was their number one priority.- Scott C.
$3 Million Car Accident
A wrongful death settlement for the young daughter of a woman who was tragically killed as a result of a motor vehicle accident.
$3 Million Wrongful Death
Settlement for the wife and children of a man who died when the defendant ran a red light and struck the driver’s side door.
$1 Million Verdict
A man who was killed when struck by a train at an unmarked railroad crossing.
$850,000 $850,000 Settlement
Settlement for the wrongful death of a 14-year-old girl who died when she was stuck after an electric gate automatically closed wedging her between the gate and the pillar of the gate.
$725,000 Flash Fire that Eruption
Settlement against a homeowner and plumbing contractor when a father was killed due to a flash fire that erupted from the defendant’s gas water heater.